Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the questions we commonly get asked - but if your question does not feature, ask us here.

What it the RICS?

RICS (Royal Instituion of Chartered Surveyors) is the global professional body promoting and enforcing the highest international standards in the valuation, management and development of land, real estate, construction and infrastructure.

Why is it important to choose a RICS regulated firm?

RICS is the world's leading professional body dedicated to the economics and management of land, property, construction and related environmental issues. This means any advice given by their members will be of the highest professional standard. Members are bound by a strict code of conduct that regulates how they deal with you and your money.

Are you insured to carry out your work? Do you operate a complaints procedure?

Yes. We are required to maintain Professional Indemnity Insurance for all our work as a condition of being a member of the RICS. This is controlled and monitored by the Institution. Having a formal complaints procedure is also a requirement of the RICS. A copy of this can be supplied on request.

What's the difference between a Home Condition Survey, a Homebuyer Report and a Building Survey?

The difference between these surveys comes down to the level of detail that's included in the examination of the property. The full Building Survey is more detailed and as a result more expensive than a Home Condition Survey or a Homebuyer Report and the one you go for will come down to the property you're buying. Contact us to discuss the best option for you.

I'm buying an old house, should I have it surveyed?

Buying a house or flat is one of the most expensive outlays most people make during their lives. Every house and flat is different in both construction and condition and many properties have been altered and extended over the years. The report will cover all these areas with appropriate advice. Unknown defects and problems can also be expensive to resolve. A proper survey is a good independent written record of the condition of the building at the time of purchase.

What is the RPSA?

A F Ducas Surveyors are members of the Residential Property Surveyors Association (RPSA), a representative body for independent specialist residential surveyors. The RPSA is dedicated to helping its members deliver a range of high quality survey products, helping consumers at the time they are making one of the biggest investments of their lives.

About Our Services